Wrestling team continues domination of Mid-American Conference

The Central Michigan wrestling team has won 70 of their last 73 Mid-American Conference duels dating back to the 1998-99 season.

The Chippewas have also won at least a share of 12 of the past 13 MAC titles and 10 straight conference tournament championships.

“It just says that we are pretty competitive and working hard,” head coach Tom Borrelli said.  “I really don’t try to get caught up in that.  I try to get caught up in what we need to do from week to week.”

According to the MAC preseason rankings, the Chippewas were picked to finish second in the conference behind Kent State.

“We have a young team so every week is real important to us as far as improvement.”

Freshmen Mike Ottinger and Joey Kielbasa are a combined 30-15 on the season and earned themselves a frequent spot in the starting lineup.  Ottinger is 3-0 in MAC duals and is ranked first in the conference at 165 pounds.

“I think we are doing well,” redshirt freshman Tyler Keselring said.  “We’re on the right track and we’re doing things right in the room. We definitely can and hopefully we can receive another MAC Championship this year.”

Including Saturday’s victory against Northern Illinois, the Chippewas boast a 12-2 overall record while going 4-0 in MAC play.  They have outscored their opponents 92-42 in those matches.

Borrelli does not think the competition has been weaker either.

“I know our league is a lot more balanced this year than it has been,” Borrelli said.  “Last year it was very balanced too, but this year it might even be more balanced.”

CMU faces Kent State on Jan. 29.  Borrelli knows it will be a difficult opponent, but thinks his team will be ready.

“We’re going to compete hard and see what happens,” Borrelli said.

The last CMU conference loss came on Feb. 4, 2011 against Ohio.