College of Education and Human Services names new dean; Dale-Elizabeth Pehrsson to begin July 1

Provost Gary Shapiro announced in a release Thursday afternoon that Dale-Elizabeth Pehrsson was named the new dean of the College of Education and Human Services.

Pehrsson, the current associate dean and professor at the University of Nevada-Las Vegas, will begin working at Central Michigan University beginning July 1, earning a salary of $154,500.

"I am extremely pleased to become dean of the College of Education and Human Services," Pehrsson said in the release. "Strengths and possibilities are what I see in this college and the university. I look forward to working with an outstanding faculty and staff in the vital process of identifying and building present strengths as well as capturing future possibilities."

Pehrsson will be responsible for five academic departments, 13 educational centers and 185 faculty and staff. She has a doctoral degree of education and master's degrees in counseling and education from Idaho State University and a bachelor's degree of science from the University of the State of New York.

Pehrsson was one of three final candidates in the national search for a new EHS dean, along with Henry Clark, senior associate dean for academic affairs at Virginia Commonwealth University, and Charles Howell, chairman of the College of Education’s leadership, educational psychology and foundations department at Northern Illinois University.

"Dr. Pehrsson stood out as a top candidate throughout every step of the search process," Shapiro said. "Her experience clearly positions her as a leading teacher, scholar and administrator whose leadership and vision will continue to move the College of Education and Human Services forward."

Shapiro thanked Kathryn Koch for her "excellent job of leading the college" as intermin dean since 2009. Koch will return to the position of associate dean of EHS.