Hatters beat up on baseball team taking series in Florida

With a day-night split of the Saturday doubleheader, the Central Michigan baseball team couldn’t win Sunday against No. 23 Stetson to split the four-game series.

The Hatters compiled double-digit runs for the second time in the series, beating CMU 14-3 at Melching Field in DeLand, Fla.

The Chippewas had a chance to break the game open in the second inning in a tie game with the bases loaded after singles by seniors Nate Theunissen and Sam Russell. Freshman Tyler Huntey was walked, and CMU had its chance with the bases juiced but could only muster-up one run.

Then, the Hatters broke the game open.

They scored four runs with just two hits because of miscues by the Chippewas pitching and defense.

The third inning began with a throwing error by CMU junior shortstop Jordan Dean, and then junior starting pitcher Rick Dodridge walked two before Stetson’s Ben Carhart knocked in as many runners with a single into left field.

Stetson’s Tanner Blackman knocked in two runners two batters later with a single up the middle, giving Stetson a 5-1 lead.

Theunissen went 2-for-4 on the afternoon; he was the only CMU player with multiple hits.

Dodridge dropped to 1-1 after giving up seven runs, one earned, in 4 1/3 innings.

Game one

CMU jumped out to an early 1-0 lead in the first inning when Theunissen singled down the right field line.

Game two

Saturday’s first game of a day-night doubleheader saw layover from Friday’s defeat. CMU scored just three runs, and the Hatters scored in every inning but the fifth on their way to an 11-3 victory.

CMU starting pitcher Jon Weaver was relieved from the game after 3 2/3 innings, giving up eight runs, two earned, in a sloppy defensive game. CMU had five errors and the Hatters had four, but they outhit CMU 10-7 and won their second-straight game in the series.