Professor uses mentoring award to call for helping youth in foster care

An adjunct professor of sociology, anthropology and social work was recently honored with the first-ever Outstanding Mentor Award issued by the Michigan Department of Human Services.

Selene Wadhawan, a children's services supervisor at the Department of Human Services Isabella County office, received a personal call from DHS Director Maura Corrigan and was awarded a certificate on Jan. 31 acknowledging her work with foster children. The Outstanding Mentor Award is awarded to a DHS member who demonstrates sensational work and commitment with fostered youth.

Wadhawan, after founding and organizing the Michigan Youth Opportunity Initiative Youth Board in Midland and Isabella counties, as well as organizing Helping Others Prepare for Everything, a program created for older youth in foster care, stuck out among fellow DHS members.

“The youth are the biggest driving force to want to make things better for youth in foster care,” Wadhaawn said. “Hearing their stories, struggles and their experiences within the system I work in drives me to make it a tiny bit better.”

The Central Michigan University Volunteer Center has worked closely with Wadhawan, creating and donating handmade fleece blankets to both MYOI and HOPE. Shawna Ross, coordinator of the Volunteer Center, knew of Wadhawan through her work with DHS and teen leadership groups.

“I am in awe of her,” Ross said. “She is the best version of ‘mentor’ that I can think of. Her care for others and her strong commitment for social justice is an example to us all.”

Wadhawan has also served as an advocate and expert speaker at CMU’s annual "Issue Day" advocacy conference. Her teen leadership group met CMU students to discuss the importance of active citizenship and service. With her past speaking engagements and extensive experience with fostered youth, others saw her as a clear choice for the award.

“It is a great honor and I am touched,” Wadhawan said. “I am happy that this award will highlight the need for all of us to work together to help youth in foster care in our state and nation.”