Union township approves start of road construction drafting

A bid was approved at Wednesday's Union Township meeting for well maintenance to be performed on two unused wells.

Union Township Public Works Coordinator Kim Smith said the township is looking into conducting the maintenance, cleaning and television of Wells three and four at the Meridan Well Site.

"Since 2004-05, we haven't used the wells much," Smith said. "We would like to clean one well a year on about a five-year cycle before we get to the next well."

The  board approved the bid from Layne Northern of $15,962 to clean the wells.

During the meeting, a report from The Pathway Prioritization Committee about wanting to install 8-foot sidewalks on both sides of Bluegrass Road from Mission Road to Isabella Road where there are no existing sidewalks, as well as on the west side of Isabella Road south from Bluegrass Road to Spring Lane and north to Jeffery lane.

A crossing improvement per the plan on Isabella Road at Jeffery Lane is also recommended. The cost estimate of this project would be $35,880.

Other business

Wednesday night the annual report from the Middle Michigan Development Corporation was presented.

President and CEO Brian Anderson gave a review and overview of their newest business, Supporting Innovation of Today's Entrepreneurs.

SITE is a self-proclaimed one-stop resource for entrepreneurs and small business owners in Clare, Gladwin, Gratiot and Isabella counties.

The MMDC led the group through several months of documenting regional assets and developing a website to connect entrepreneurs with area resources, ultimately launching a comprehensive advertising campaign that will continue through April 2012.

"Twenty-five organizations are part of SITE," Anderson said. "We've has 110 leads since August, and actual visits to the site are closer to 1,500 from people all over music."

Anderson said the organization has recieved $145,000 in grants, and about $140,000 of that stayed in the state.

"Were we could, we brought in local folks to complete some of the tasks," Anderson said.