Union Township approves trade in of 2008 F250 for $10,000

Union Township voted on and approved Wednesday the trade of one of its trucks used to load and haul various materials for a few of the companies in the city.

This item was in the 2012 budget and will be split evenly between the water and sewer fund.

The original truck was traded in at a value of $12,934 from Krapohl Ford as opposed to the $12,500 that would have been received with the Gateway Chrysler Dodge bid. These were the only two bids received.

After the trade in, the price for the 2008 Ford F250 pickup truck was $10,000.

"There is no manufacturer that has created a hybrid truck, (but) eventually this is the path we would like to go down," said Township Supervisor John Barker.

Barker also talked about how a few different organizations in Mount Pleasant and Isabella County are trying to get a  liquid natural gas conversion. However, that is expensive, he said.

Barker said there were some grants that could be used for liquid natural gas conversion, but they have been cut back.

"We have one truck that would be liquid natural gas convertible," Barker said.

Other Business

Also at the meeting, a Brine Contract with Isabella County Road Commission was approved by an 8-1 vote.

The approved contract is for three applications of brine at 2,000 gallons per mile, totaling a cost of $13,436.64.

"There are 21 miles of gravel roads in our township" said Trustee Phil Mikus.

Last year the township paid $12,227.04 for the brine applications. The new contract is an increase of 9.89 percent from 2011.

The increase was the result of a 1 cent per gallon increase in the cost of the brine itself.

There will be three applications of the brine; one in mid-May, mid-July and mid-August.