Wrestling team looking to avenge loss to Purdue in National Duals Sunday

If you don’t first succeed, try again is the motto the Central Michigan wrestling team is taking into a rematch with Purdue 2 p.m. Sunday at Oregon, Ohio.

The Boilermakers knocked the Chippewas out of the first round of the National Duals 27-9 last weekend.

“You don’t get many chances for a do over in life, especially a week apart.  So we’re looking at this as a do over,” head coach Tom Borrelli said. “We feel like we didn’t perform up to our abilities, and thankfully we get a second chance.”

The Chippewas have Joe Roth of the 125-pound class this time around.  The Boilermakers will most likely still be without Roger Vukobratovich, a former top-20 heavyweight by InterMat.

“If this were the NFL I would classify (Vukobratovich) as doubtful. It will most likely be Alex White, but I think we’ll weigh both guys in,” said Tanner Lipsett, Purdue associate athletics communications director via email.

CMU can improve its all-time record against Purdue to 5-6, along with evening the season series at 1-1 with a win.

A match between Ben Bennett and Purdue’s Braden Atwood was the only one that featured two-ranked wrestlers facing off in the first dual between the schools.  Bennett won on a 7-2 decision.

Borrelli spoke about Bennett’s success the same way he has about every wrestler that has won consistently this season.  He said Bennett “imposes his will” and forces his opponent to wrestle his style.

CMU freshman Mike Ottinger is looking to redeem himself after losing to Kyle Mosier, a wrestler slightly over .500.

“I really want to win that one,” Ottinger said. “I know if I wrestler for seven minutes, there is no way he can beat me.”

Ottinger lost the lead for good in a point-filled second period that amounted to 5-4 deficit, after a slow first period that ended with Ottinger having a 2-1 lead.

He was puzzled when asked why he lost.

“I can’t even tell you.  I don’t know,” Ottinger said. “I didn’t do something right.  I didn’t eat something right or get enough sleep or something.”

In the 165-pound weight class, he is unranked nationally but holds the top spot in the Mid-American Conference.

He is satisfied with being 18-8 overall with a 4-0 record against MAC opponents.

“It’s gone well.  Definitely better than I expected,” he said. “I just got to be a little more consistent…  It’s kind of been like a roller coaster, but it’s been fun so far.”