Baseball team ends weekend in Louisiana with a win

The Central Michigan baseball team ended its road trip to Louisiana on a good note with a 7-4 win over McNeese State Sunday.

The Chippewas (4-7) started the road trip with a comeback win over Southeastern Louisiana and then dropped the next two games in a Saturday double-header.

The bats were quite during the double-header and errors cost them so runs, but Sunday the bats were loud and the fielding was clean as they took on the Lions (3-8) in the finale.

With seniors, catcher William Arnold and third basemen Tyler Hall, out with injures CMU needed to find hits and runs elsewhere.

On Sunday three Chippewas had multi-hit games with senior left fielder Sam Russell helping them pull away with two RBI's in the eighth and ninth innings from a sacrifice fly and a single. Junior shortstop Jordan Dean also recorded an RBI in his multiple hit game with a single in the third inning.

Freshman pitcher Matt Trowbridge recorded his first career win in his first career start at CMU by allowing just one earned run, three hits and five strikeouts in his five innings of work.

Junior pitchers Patrick Kaminska (three innings) and Dietrich Enns (one inning) finished the game with Enns allowing two runs in the ninth before getting a pop fly to freshman third basemen Joey Houlihan with the bases loaded.

CMU started the scored three runs in the third inning from senior right fielder Eric Wrozek and Dean with RBI singles and another run in on a passed ball.

McNeese State answered with two runs in the fifth inning, but the Chippewas added a run in final three innings to put away their opponents.

CMU has one more road series over break before opening up Theunissen Stadium at 3:05 March 13 against Madonna. The team will travel to Manoa, Hawaii to play the University of Hawaii in four games from Wednesday to Saturday.