Community member and CMU volunteer dies at age 96

Mount Pleasant resident Lucille Wysong died at the age of 96 on March 10 at The Laurels of Mount Pleasant.

Wysong was born to Fred and Sarah Scheidel on August 30, 1915 near Traverse City, Michigan.

Wysong married Richard Wysong on May 29, 1938. The two spent most of their married life in Mount Pleasant raising their family.

Lucille's husband was a retired professor at CMU, said Sherm Rowley, director of Helms Funeral Home.

Rowley said Lucille volunteered in many CMU activities such as sporting events, artist’s course programs, planning homecoming, coordinating the Queens Court and mentoring foreign students.

Kiwanis and Special Olympics were a very important part of her life, in which she helped with many projects.

Her interests include baking, sports, sewing, bridge, Audubon, music, theater, and gardening.

Wysong’s home reflects the many trips she took over her lifetime with a special focus on the Asian culture.

Wysong was preceded in death by her husband Richard, son Rolf, grandson Christopher Miller, sister Lone Reechko, and special friend Woodrow Eber.

Wysong’s three daughters survive her: Escanaba resident Judith Leinberger, Lincoln Park resident Mera Pety and Eaton Rapids resident Brenda Wysong.

Other survivors include six grandchildren, four great grandchildren, three great great grandchildren, several nieces and nephews and a neighbor and friend, Betsy Fagan.

A service celebrating Wysong’s life was held Wednesday, March 14, 2012 at 3 p.m. at the First Presbyterian Church in Mount Pleasant with Pastor Andrew L. Miller and Dr. Stephen Shugert officiating.

The family has asked that memorial contributions in Lucille’s memory be made to the First Presbyterian Church of Mount Pleasant, the Central Michigan University Library, or a charity of choice.

Friends and Family were very important and her loyalty and caring for them was her priority.

To share your thoughts and memories, please do so with the family at the church or through www.rowleyfuneralhome.com.