GAME REVIEW: 'Mass Effect 3' maintains storytelling excellence, improves combat

masseffectscreen

"Mass Effect 3" has some pretty massive expectations to contend with.

The previous games have gained a following of devoted fans who are deeply entrenched within the rich fiction present in the "Mass Effect" universe, and it would be impossible to please every single one of them.

Thankfully, the developers at BioWare have crafted a wonderful experience that will live up to the lofty expectations set by many fans of the series, though it is not completely devoid of the occasional blemish.

Like the two games that came before it, the most interesting thing about "Mass Effect 3" is the huge story that spans across the entire galaxy.

Mass Effect 3 X360, PS3, PC Action role-playing game M for Mature 5 stars out of 5
The story as a whole is fantastic. The series’ trademark of taking choices the player made in previous games and having them affect events in the current game has returned, so the story could vary slightly for different players, but in general, the story is really engaging and motivating, especially for players who have seen everything unfold from the very beginning.

The staggering amount of detail to be found in the "Mass Effect" universe really helps fill out the story. It only takes a quick look at the game’s codex to see just how much thought has been put into every alien race and the politics, culture and events that have shaped them. The detail gives the story and character interactions a complexity and depth seldom found in video games.

Players new to the series will still have a good time, but the events that unfold involving characters from past games will likely fall flat since there won’t be much reason for new players to care about what happens to them.

For fans of the series, seeing old friends and teammates will be an absolute treat. The game is crammed full of fan service and is surprising at times in its effectiveness at evoking an emotional response from the player. The very end may be a sore spot for some, but the rest of the game is just too fun to ignore.

The combat is greatly improved this time as well, so players won’t be trying to rush through the shooting parts just to get to the story. It isn’t the best third-person shooter on the market, but the combat is at least good enough this time to support a surprisingly addictive cooperative multiplayer mode where players work together to defeat 10 waves of enemies.

Overall, "Mass Effect 3" gives fans a fantastic story to play through with combat that is actually fun this time around.