Kristin Teubner, Brittany Petzold lead gymnastics to second-straight MAC title against WMU

31712_gymnastics

The Central Michigan gymnastics team won its second consecutive Mid-American Conference regular season title against Western Michigan on St. Patrick’s Day at McGuirk Arena.

The Chippewas won 195.525 to 193.925 in their final home meet of the season.

“It was a tough day, but a great day,” head coach Jerry Reighard said. “The day is behind us now and we can focus on the tournament after a great team effort. No one would predicted that we would be MAC champs in December after all our injuries.”

Senior Kristen Teubner starred in her final home meet. The Colorado native is looking for back to back Mid-American Conference Gymnast of the Year awards, and she helped the cause against WMU.

CMU came out of the gate on fire with all scores about 9.725 on the vault. Teubner and sophomore Brittany Petzold led the way scoring a 9.825.

While WMU kept it close after two events with the score being 97.850 to 97.800, Teubner and Petzold put the championship out of reach for WMU.  On the bars Teubner scored 9.8, and Petzold scored a 9.825.

Teubner acknowledged that Reighard has helped her tremendously during her career.

“Sorry to say, but when I was recruited by him I sucked,” Teubner said. “Still to this day I don’t know why he recruited me, but I got a lot better thanks to him. He always pushed me to get better, and always encouraged me. I became the best gymnast under him.”

After three events the Chippewas led WMU.

Petzold and Teubner sent the Chippewas off in style. Teubner scored a 9.850 and Petzold a 9.825 on the floor in the final event.

Senior Samantha Piotrowski competed one last time on the floor for the Chippewas. She injured her elbow before the season started and had not competed in the event this season.

Piotrowksi was emotional talking about the end of her career at CMU.

“It meant everything, it’s been really hard to think that something that 18 years of my life has been taken away,” Piotrowski said. “Thank god for my coaches and teammates who always had my back. We put together a routine and I performed it to the best of my abilities.”

Teubner, Petzold and freshman Halle Moraw all scored above 39 for all-arounders. The meet ended with the Chippewas and crowd chanting "C-M-U."

CMU will try to win its third-consecutive MAC  Tournament Championship Saturday at DeKalb, Ill.