LETTER: Be a Chippewa

As I saw the streets fill with students it initially made me feel good. Students were all coming together to celebrate, as it should be.

What I didn’t see coming were the comments and slurs I personally heard. The hateful, disgusting words I heard come out of CMU students’ mouths was appalling. Whether they were intoxicated or not is beside the point.

Throughout the course of the day I heard many people call others faggot, queer, nigger and homo, just as examples.

I ask that all students remember where we are and who you are. You are all Chippewas and our motto is Sapientia, Virtus, Amicitia. That stands for wisdom, virtue and friendship. We do not discriminate, hate or belittle anybody.

These words are not acceptable anywhere, but in Mount Pleasant that is even more so true. This city is diverse in ways that some cities will never have the pleasure of knowing. We have students from more than 20 countries, a proud LGBT community and many different religious backgrounds. Every student and member of our community has the right to feel safe and welcome at Central Michigan University.

The respect and honor that students gain by attending CMU should be represented with every word you say and every action you commit to.

I see these comments as an opportunity to grow as a student body. We are here to learn and grow as individuals, not just so that we can have superior careers but so that we can all be contributing members of society.

I am asking each and every person on this campus to live up to our motto and remember who you are. This campus is meant to be and will be the most welcoming campus in the state, if not the nation. I love Central Michigan University and I am proud to call this city my home, so please be courteous, kind, accepting and with that a Chippewa.

As Always,

Fire Up Chips

Vince Cavataio

Student Government Association President and Shelby Township senior