Ryan McCullough sets hammer throw record at LSU Relays

Ryan McCullough started off the outdoor track and field season with a record-setting performance in Baton Rouge, La.

Friday, the Central Michigan senior thrower set a school record in the hammer throw with a distance of 204 feet, 2 inches. It is the 10th-best distance in the nation so far, according to the Track and Field Results Reporting System.

McCullough also finished 11th in the discus with a distance of 148-07. His performance underscored the successful weekend for the team as a whole throughout the weekend.

The weekend was especially unique for director of track and field Willie Randolph. It was his first time back in the New Orleans area after he left in 2006 to coach at the University of Louisville.

"At the beginning of the weekend, it was nerve-wracking to go back to a  place that wasn't so positive when I left," Randolph said. "Then it was humbling and exciting, because I got to see former athletes and friends."

Randolph said some of his former athletes drove from up to three hours away to see him. Also, one of Randolph's former University of New Orleans assistants, Trent Ellis, now coaches at LSU, the host of the meet.

He said he considers it the best start to the season since he began at CMU in 2009.

"I think we had a good opener, one of the best openers that I've seen since I started here," Randolph said.

The meet was unscored, but strong performances from the 34 CMU athletes who competed at the LSU Relays hints to what could be upcoming.

Junior runner Renaldo Powell placed third in the 110-meter hurdles with a time of 14.65 during the first outdoor meet of the season.

Megan Heffner finished fifth in the women’s 400m hurdles with a time of 1:03.09.

The women’s 4x400m relay placed fourth with a time of 3:48.04. The men’s relay finished seventh with a time of 3:14.55.

"We hope this continues through to the end of the season at conference and nationals," Randolph said. "We saw a lot of production."

CMU will compete at the Toledo Collegiate Challenge in Toledo, Ohio Saturday.