Coldren sets CMU softball RBI record

Nobody in the history of Central Michigan softball has drove in more runs than senior infielder Molly Coldren.

Wednesday, Coldren broke the 13-year career RBI record hitting a two-run homerun over the left-field wall.

Coldren began the season 36 RBIs behind the record. After Wednesday, Coldren’s career RBI total to date is 127.

The previous record was 125 RBI held by Elizabeth Beshear (formerly Barnes), a CMU Hall-of-Famer and three-time first-team All-Mid-American Conference shortstop from 1996-99.

“(The record) was definitely in the back of my mind, but I wanted to get two wins today,” Coldren said. “That was our goal.”

Jonker has won over 1,000 games at CMU. She said Coldren is as good a hitter as any in the program’s history. Jonker said the ball explodes off Coldren’s bat “probably more than it’s exploded off of anybody’s bat that we’ve ever had.”

“Molly has the extremely quick hands, great bat speed and strength. A combination that has rarely been matched in CMU softball history,” head coach Margo Jonker said.

CMU (21-23) was swept in a double-header by Indiana-Purdue Fort Wayne (37-11).

The Chippewas lost 6-4 in game one and 7-5 in game two.

Coldren said her teammates didn’t say much after her homerun about the record.

“They just said congratulations, that was about it,” Coldren said. “We were just focused on getting the win.”

With eight games left in the season, Coldren will have many at-bats to increase the record.

Coldren’s sister Julie Short watched the game on a live internet broadcast from her home in Raleigh, N.C.

“I couldn't be prouder of my sister and all she has accomplished during her time at CMU,” Short said. “All the records she has set and broken are a direct result of all the hard work she has put into her game over the years.  Molly plays hard and gives it her all every game and it shows. I am so proud of her and love watching her play, especially when she is up to bat.”

Coldren also holds the CMU career homerun record, with 29, which is 10 more than the previous record.

What makes Coldren’s RBI record even more interesting is that she hit more RBIs in playing 53 games less than Beshear. Even after the remaining games this season, Coldren will be well short of career games played than Beshear.