COLUMN: How to deal with weddings

Spring has begun, which means wedding season is upon us and now that I’m 24, it seems more prevalent than ever.

So far I have five weddings to attend in the next six months, two of which I’m in, and I couldn’t be happier for all of the couples.

I think weddings are fun, mostly because I get to do three of my favorite things, eat, drink and dance.  But I know they can also be stressful and hard, I may not be a bride, but  here’s some advice from me and some lovely brides-to-be I know to help.

We’ve all heard the phrase uttered from many a bridezilla’s mouth “It’s all about me and I get what I want!” Notice something about that sentence?  Not once is the groom’s opinion considered, which is very selfish.

Remember that the whole point of a wedding is to bring two people and their lives together, not just the bride’s.

Noelle Kimbrel said that her fiance and her looked through magazines and photos online together to get an idea of what they both liked.  This way, she said, they could find a happy medium of what they both wanted before anything is planned.

Because the bride and groom to be will have a lot of opinions flying in their direction, when it comes down to it all the only opinions that matter are the bride and groom’s, said Rachel Breedlove

Add personal touches, inside jokes or DIY projects.  I always feel the more personal wedding, the more memorable it is.

Don’t spend a buttload of money on things you can’t afford.  It’s probably not a good idea to start off a marriage in a lot of debt because of one day. So don’t let your champagne taste on a beer budget get a hold of you.

Breedlove also said to go with the unexpected. You can plan all you want but there are certain things out of your control, so just let them go ... or pop a Xanax (editor's note: please only do the last bit if they're your own prescription.)

Both brides said to give yourself a lot of time to plan and prepare,  that way it’s not as stressful on you as a couple or your wallet.

The number one thing couples fight about is money, so before getting married sit down with your fiance and go over finances. Credit scores, debt, credit cards all of it, be open and honest, know what you’re getting into.

Most of all remember that a wedding is only the beginning to a life together.  The marriage is the most important thing, not the wedding.

For all the single women, be happy for your friends and family getting married, not jealous. So what, you’re not engaged, you will be when the time is right with the right person, or maybe never at all.  You should be happy with whatever direction your life will take you.

Don’t let personal or societal pressure to be married by a certain age get the best of you. As women we are constantly bombarded with “reality shows,” magazines and websites obsessed with weddings, but that doesn’t mean we need to be.

As we get older we will be having more serious relationships and how we feel about marriage and kids should be discussed with our partners. Don’t be afraid to have those important discussions with your partner when the time is right, make sure you don’t do that on the first date.

For advice e-mail me at spenc1jc@cmich.edu or submit a question anonymously to my formspring account athttp://formspring.me/JordanCSpence