Math wizard Terence Tao impresses first-day Fleming Lecture crowd

Terence Tao, recognized for his part in contributing to the mathematics field, dazzled a packed Pearce Hall room Wednesday in the first day of the inaugural Fleming Lecture series.

Tao, a mathematics professor at the University of California-Los Angeles, has had his hand in contributing to partial differential equations, operator theory, harmonic analysis, arithmetic combinatorics and number theory.

These major contributions within the mathematics field directly link Tao with his overwhelming success, which includes being awarded both the 2012 Crawford Prize and the Field Medal, also referred to as the "Nobel Prize of mathematics," in 2006.

“I’m not here today to talk about my own work,” Tao said. “Instead, I’m here to talk with you all about my favorite proof: the Poincaré Conjecture.”

Tao defined the Poincaré Conjecture as a mathematical theorem that characterizes a 3- dimensional sphere, or, in Tao’s words, a “very complex process”.

“This conjecture came about in 1904, and was solved around the years of 2002-2003,” he said. “I have an hour to explain this to you, so wish me the best and let’s waste no time getting started.”

With the use of PowerPoint and extravagant hand gestures, Tao tried to simplify the complex ideas of the conjecture to the audience.

Among many anxious students and teachers who filled the floor of the lecture hall, Highland senior Jessica Francis sat with her attention forward and notebook at the ready.

“I initially came to see Terence Tao speak, because it was counted as extra credit in one of my classes,” Francis said. “Now that I’m here though, I am really excited to hear what he has to say.”

Francis, a math major at CMU, explained that she idolizes Tao for being awarded the Field Medal.

“This is such a prestigious award,” Francis said. “You have to get this award at a certain age, which makes the award really impressive. People are not lying when they say it’s like the ‘Nobel Prize’ for mathematics. This is really exciting stuff.”

Ian Davison, dean of the College of Science and Technology, spoke briefly during the introduction of the Fleming Lecture, touching base on how it is seen as a necessity on CMU’s campus.

“The Fleming Lecture is essential to our university,” Davison said. “It brings together our undergraduates, graduates and faculty and introduces them with the best scholars in their fields. This is something we plan to do not only once, but every single year.”

As the introduction continued, members of the audience heard all about Tao’s biggest accomplishments, including his three-year Mathematic Olympiad placements and acquiring a doctorate degree from Princeton University at the age of 20.

As Tao finally took his place at the front of the classroom, he wasted no time jumping into his lecture. For about 90 minutes, audience members watched the mathematical prodigy at work.

“Some people think Professor Tao is the best mathematician in the world,” said Professor Emeritus and sponsor of the Fleming Lecture Richard Fleming. “In bringing Tao to Central Michigan, I was hoping to have him bring a level of interest to things. I also wanted to promote academics here.”

Fleming explained that his lecture series is different in one major way; student and provost interaction.

“The idea is that we are not only bringing Tao in for an hour to have him talk and then leave,” Fleming said. “Instead, he will be here to talk to students and interact with them, which is what makes this lecture special.”