Moore Media Records to host sampler album 'Almost Famous' release party Thursday

Four bands who have yet to reach stardom will get a little more exposure Thursday night.

Moore Moore Records will be hosting an album release show for their new sampler album "Almost Famous" starting at 10 p.m. at Rubble’s Bar, 112 W. Michigan St.

MMR is an independent, student-run record label at Central Michigan University based in Moore Hall. The album features Wavvy Hands, Delightfuls, Moses and Hour 24, and all will be playing at the release show.

Hour 24 is led by singer Rachel Mayer, a Temperance freshman. She said the band started out when her boyfriend, guitarist Dan Quigley, and their other friend and guitarist Cody Sizemore wanted to put a band together and began auditioning people. Quigley and Sizemore are both high schools students from Mayer's home town.

“I had the hardest time getting into the band, because they made me try out three times,” Mayer said.

Mayer said Hour 24 plays high-energy rock.

“We’re just crazy when we get on stage,” she said. “Our music is definitely something you can dance around to and have a good time.”

Mayer said her older brother used to be a part of MMR, which is why she joined it.

“I also had an interest in broadcasting and cinematic arts and audio production,” Mayer said. “They were telling us about this CD sampler they were going to put out, which they do every year. So I said ‘Hey I’m in a band.’ They had a panel of judges pick four bands and they picked us.”

The freshman does not have time to enjoy a typical freshman experience and said she has only spent a total of four weekends up at school the whole year.

“It can be pretty crazy at times," she said. “Especially now it’s at the end of the year and I have so many shows and papers due. It’s a lot of driving. I drive back every single weekend so we can practice and we’ve booked shows almost every weekend.”

Recently the band was offered their first contract through a subsidiary of Universal records, Smoke Box Music Group.

“It felt pretty awesome to get our first contracted offer,” Mayer said. “But we decided we didn’t want to sign the contract, because it wasn’t in the best interest of the band.”

Quigley said Mayer has a lot of energy.

“She’s really fun and outgoing, which is great for the band,” he said. “You can hear it in her voice too.”

Quigley said the band is planning a summer Midwest tour with another band, Minds Without Purpose. He said Hour 24 also plans to record an EP or album to be released by the end of the summer.

Mayer’s father, Jim, said she grew up close to music, as they went to many concerts as a family.

“I don’t care what she does, as long as she’s happy," he said. “I’d like to see her get a college education, but the most important thing is that she’s happy.”