Multi-genre Timeflies duo to make debut Michigan performance at Wayside Central

Once described as “two baby-faced former frat boys” by the New York Post, a duo of Tufts University alumni make up the electronic music group Timeflies.

Timeflies, composed of Caleb Shapiro and Robert Resnick, will be performing for the first time in Michigan at 9 p.m. April 22 at Wayside Central, 2000 S. Mission St.

Chase Fitzpatrick said once he heard Timeflies was coming to Central Michigan University, he knew he wanted to see them.

“I found them on the Internet one day when I was surfing YouTube,” the Lexington sophomore said. “They’re really good the way they remix songs, bring their own styles and all the instruments they uses.”

Shapiro, known by most as Cal is from New York and Resnick, known as Rez, is from New Jersey. They both attended college in Boston and agreed college had a big impact on them.

“We were both music majors, so obviously we were both exposed to classical music, a decent amount of jazz, an abundance of theory and a bunch of different performance classes,” Rez said. “Drums, piano for me, Cal for singing, I think it definitely helped.”

“I think being in college in general is great. You sort of have a mentality that is associated with the kind of music we’re making — we’re just partying and listening to music, while getting f***** up. ‘Cause we are making music for people who like to get f***** up. It was great.”

The two both said they still listen to classical music.

“I just opened up my iTunes and Beethoven is my most played,” Cal said.

“If we’re in a weird city and can’t find a station we like, very often we’ll find a classical station and end up spending some time there,” Rez said.

The pair met at party in college while Cal was freestyling. Cal said Rez asked him to come sing for his funk band. After, Timeflies was born.

“We were pretty much big pieces of s*** and never could really get our act together and people would call us Timeflies because we were never on time and really had no concept of time,” Cal said.

Vanity Fair described the two as “musical masterminds of electro-pop-hip-hop-rap.”

They describe their music as “electro hip-pop, dub-something.”

“The idea was that we don’t fit into any typical genre, so we just wanted to try to throw other genre names into one — it was hodge-podge of words,” Cal said. “We’ll put on an acoustic track, then a dubstep track; there was just nothing we could put our finger on. So we just threw words together.”

Some may recognize their music, which was played during FOX’s presentation of the Cotton Bowl. Most know the band for “Timeflies Tuesday,” where the group releases a new song to their YouTube channel every Tuesday.

The idea came from a brainstorming session after their first couple of songs had come out.

“One of the guys was saying, ‘You guys should make a video of what you guys do in the studio, since you guys just sit there and f*** around and people would love to watch that,’” Rez said.

Timeflies agreed they are working on a mixtape that will hopefully come out next month, featuring sample-based music, a lot like their “Timeflies Tuesday” songs, and a new album should be out at the end of the year.

The two said they are very excited to have added Michigan to their Midwest tour and gave a message to their fans.

“We love you,” Rez said.

“We just want to thank everyone for their continued support and we can’t wait to get out there,” Cal said. “We’re definitely thrilled that this is happening.”

General admission tickets can be purchased for $15 at timefliescentral.eventbrite.com.