NPR's 'Planet Money' coming to CMU April 10

How does the failing Greece economy affect the U.S.? What is a N.I.N.A. loan?

Those topics or similar economic stories will be discussed at a presentation by the hosts of National Public Radio's “Planet Money” at 7:30 p.m. April 10 in Warriner Hall's Plachta Auditorium.

"Planet Money" is a radio talk show that discusses the global economy and its effect on people. Featuring a two-man team of Adam Davidson and Alex Blumberg, the show has two fundamental rules; one, that everything has to be interesting, and two, everything should be economically smart and accurate.

The radio show produces twice-weekly podcasts and creates stories for other NPR programs including "Morning Edition," "All things Considered" and "This American Life."

“I’m absolutely thrilled,” said John Sheffler, director of CMU Public Radio, which is hosting the event. “I’ve been a fan of the 'Planet Money' team since I first began hearing them on NPR. They put things in terms that even a guy like me could understand.”

Sheffler said the event will be a presentation followed by a question-and-answer period. He said “Planet Money” is coming at a perfect time.

“It’s good that their appearance is so close to tax day,” he said. “Also, some very interesting things are happening in the world right now economically, so I think their timing together here is just perfect.”

Law and Economics major Mike Manoogian said “Planet Money” is really good for explaining things, such as the mortgage crisis in 2008, in a way any regular person can understand.

“I just think it’s a cool concept and really insightful," the Sterling Heights senior said. "It would be better if a lot more people listened to it."

Tickets are $6 for students and $16 for the general public and can be purchased through CMU Ticket Central or by calling 1-888-268-0111.

“Everybody is impacted by the economy,” Sheffler said. “You can’t help it; and when something happens in Greece, for example, it has an impact on people here in the United States, and if you have any curiosity at all about why and how you’re impacted by things like that, that are taking place in Europe, this is a great chance to come and (have) these guys explain things to you.”

This presentation of “Planet Money” is also sponsored by Finance Professor Charles Walmsley, who is a financial adviser with HS&C Wealth Management.