Student Environmental Alliance, Take Back the Tap to host week-long Earth Day celebration

The Student Environmental Alliance and Take Back The Tap have activities planned for a week-long Earth Day celebration this year.

SEA President and Saline junior Chloe Gleichman said she hopes the week encourages students to become aware of their personal choices and how they impact the Earth.

"All life is connected; what we do as humans impacts the land and life, therefore it is important to live healthy lives, both personally and in relation to the Earth," Gleichman said. "I would also hope that during Earth Week, students become aware of the precarious position on which our planet stands."

SEA will host four environmental documentaries during the week, beginning at 7 p.m. Monday and continuing through Thursday in Anspach 161 and Pearce 128. From 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Thursday, an Earth Day celebration will be held at Warriner Mall.

“During the Earth Day celebration, people (can) expect to see local sustainable businesses, RSOs and environmental organizations showcasing their efforts to promote healthy and sustainable lifestyles,” Gleichman said.

Displays will range from opportunities to take action, information and giveaways, she said.

On Friday, Take Back the Tap will host Derek Forgie from MTV Canada, a comedian who will perform his sustainable comedy act for students at 4 p.m. in Brooks 176.

During Earth Week, TBTT will be selling its reusable Bisphenol A-free water bottles for $5 and gathering signatures supporting the ban of disposable bottled water on CMU’s campus. So far, the RSO has gathered more than 2,000 signatures in support of ending sales.

“We gather signatures and promote what we are doing through our movie screenings and classroom presentations,” said Iron Mountain sophomore Krista Testolin, TBTT campus coordinator.

Mariah Urueta, Walled Lake freshman and Take Back the Tap president, said the group is confident Pepsi and Coke contracts can be amended, needed to ban bottled water on campus, before 2017.

“(We have been told) they will be willing to work with us if we got support of the student body,” Urueta said.

Testolin said Thomas Trionfi, CMU director of contracting and purchasing, told her his office has the ability to make amendments to the contracts, but students would have to demonstrate their commitment to TBTT before initiating any changes.

Staff Reporter Alayna Smith contributed to this report.