Students in Free Enterprise work on green energy, clean drinking water projects

sife

Students in Free Enterprise competed at the SIFE regional conference the weekend of April 16 in Chicago, bringing with them ideas for clean energy and safe drinking water.

One of the registered student organization's projects, named, “Get Fit to Get Lit,” aims to convert energy created on aerobic exercise machines into generators of sustainable, clean electricity. SIFE members hope to implement the technology at the Central Michigan University Student Activity Center.

“We were looking for ways to bring the green effect into the university, and through research, we found this company — ReRev,” said Kyle Carver, the SIFE member who presented the project in Chicago. “Their attachments take the kinetic energy we create and converts it to DC current, which goes right back into the facility. This company has previously implemented this at 18 other universities including University of Oregon, Ohio University, University of Florida and University of Kentucky.”

The Bessemer senior said assessments were done at the SAC and 10 elliptical machines were chosen. He said one machine produces one kilowatt hour in two days, which is equivalent to powering a vacuum for 6 hours.

“A typical 30-minute workout produces 50 watt-hours of clean carbon-free electricity, and that’s equivalent to powering a CFL light for 2.5 hours, it can charge a cell phone 6 times, it can power a laptop for an hour or a desktop for half an hour,” Carver said.

He said they have had many tedious meetings with SAC officials and the director of sustainability.

“The project totals at $12,250,” Carver said. “We want to raise some money to incentivize the SAC, to push them faster. It’s stalled out since we have nothing to incentivize them to take action.”

They have been offered outside financial help for their project.

“After we presented in Chicago, a Sam’s Club executive came up and was really into the project and said if we needed funding, he’d at least give a grand,” Carver said. “We’re actively seeking grants too.”

SIFE’s other project stems from something many take for granted every day — clean drinking water. Their Honduras Sustainability Project won first runner-up at the conference.

“The idea was Honduras was a very poor country and it has record number of people suffering from various illnesses that can be easily cured with clean water,” said Shiva Ganganithi, SIFE marketing chair and project presenter.The main illnesses they were suffering from were diarrhea, cholera, sore throat, upset stomach — all those are directly correlated with bad water.”

Ganganithi, a Troy senior, said the water source, a river, was only a foot and a half wide.

“Upstream, people were actually going and 'doing their business,'” he said. “So all that infested water was coming down and people were drinking that infested water.”

The SIFE team partnered with Omar Keith Helferich, professor of marketing and hospitality services administration, to find a solution.

“We figured that would be an issue we could deal with and we wanted to work on an international issue,” Ganganithi said.

To fund the project, SIFE held a benefit concert at Rubble's Bar, 112 W. Michigan St., and then purchased five filters, $80 each. SIFE President Sean Cale, a Clarkston junior, traveled to Tegucigalpa in March to install them. Their ultimate goal is to convince the Honduran government to purchase 40,000 units. The team will continue to collect data from the area bi-annually to demonstrate the filters’ benefits.

“I found the idea of helping out people in another country very alluring,” Ganganithi said. “There’s not many opportunities where you can go in and have a venue where you can do that.”

For students interested in joining the organization next fall, contact central.michigan.sife@gmail.com.