Zombies invade campus for Survive Mount Pleasant fundraiser run benefitting Special Olympics Michigan

zombierun

The undead roamed the campus of Central Michigan University Friday as part of the Survive Mount Pleasant Zombie Run.

The event raised money for Special Olympics as runners had to make their way through campus from check point to check point while being chased by zombies. Prizes where awarded to the zombie with the most ‘bites’ or tags, and to the top three runners.

“I can run as fast as I want; this is ‘28 Days Later’ rage virus zombies,” said Kyle Hallman, a Traverse City sophomore.

Runners were given clues as to where the checkpoints were, but not all clues where accurate. After making it to two of the three checkpoints, runners could head to the final checkpoint, ending the run. Zombies were not given any information about checkpoints.

“I have no idea where the checkpoints are. The only checkpoint I know is the final checkpoint and other than that, the clues, as far as I know, are going to be really ambiguous and we are going to have to try and find it as we run,” said Ian Wolf, a Traverse City senior.

All the proceeds from Survive Mount Pleasant went toward Special Olympics Michigan.

“The money will provide opportunities for athletes to participate in year-round training and competition and experience acceptance, inclusion, unity, respect, friendship and joy,” said Erin Dougherty, a SOMI representative working with Survive Mount Pleasant.

Hallman said he hopes the event happens again.

"I really hope that this can be a recurring event and that we get to do this every year and it just gets bigger and bigger, because I would really love to see 200 runners and like 300 zombies so the entire campus is just crawling with zombies," he said.