CMU softball mercies EMU, clinches No. 6 seed in MAC tournament

It was senior day at Margo Jonker Stadium Sunday in final game of the regular season for the Central Michigan softball team.

That made the 10-2 six-inning mercy against Eastern Michigan that much sweeter, capped off by a two-run walk-off home run from senior left fielder Ashley Gilson that clipped the wall as it went over. The homer highlighted a 3-for-4, 3 RBI day for Gilson.

“It feels great to help my team out anyway I could, and we’re going to use this momentum into the MAC tournament,” Gilson said.

Gilson wasn’t the only Chippewa (27-25, 12-10 Mid-American Conference) to have a strong day at the plate.

Three other CMU batters had multi-RBI games, includng freshmen third baseman Chelsea DeLamielleure (2-for-3, both extra base hits off the wall) and shortstop CarolAnn Sexauer (her first-inning double gave CMU a 3-1 lead).

Junior right fielder Brogan Darwin also went 2-for-3 with 2 RBIs in the game.

“We hit some line shots to the fence and I thought Chelsea DeLamielleure had one going over,” said head coach Margo Jonker. “We really did a great job hitting the ball today.”

Sophomore Chelsea Sundberg had the start in the circle for the Chippewas and went 5 2/3 innings, allowing two runs on six hits and striking out two.

“Sundberg was good, they got that home run in the first inning and I was a little nervous (but) overall she pitched pretty well,” Jonker said. “Her job is to keep us in the game and she did that.”

With the win CMU ends the regular season on a five-game winning streak and will be the No. 6 seed in the Mid-American Conference tournament starting Wednesday in Akron, Ohio. The Chippewas will play No. 7 seed Kent State, who finished the season on a four-game losing streak.

“We have a big chance to win the MAC tournament,” Gilson said. “The conference is (up) in the air and any team can beat any team.”