MOVIE REVIEW: 'Men in Black 3' makes up for failure of 'Men in Black 2'

To make up for the disaster that was “Men in Black 2,” a third installment of the Men in Black saga was created, starring Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones.

“Men in Black 3” tells the story of Agents J (Smith) and K (Jones), who wear black suits and kill aliens. When one extra-terrestrial escapes jail and goes back in time to kill K, J must follow and prevent the death of his partner.

He arrives in 1969 and unintentionally meets the younger K, played by Josh Brolin, who helps him hunt down the alien, Boris.

Not Boris the animal. Just Boris.

While many were wary about another MIB movie 10 years after the sequel, the great cast and overflowing humor made the movie worth the time.

Being a black man in 1969 was tough for J, but it was communicated humorously, which made the encounters less awkward and more eye opening. It drove home the point that we have come a long way from the treatment of non-whites in the 1960s.

For example, J is pulled over by two white officers who accuse him of stealing a nice, expensive car. After neuralyzing them, J exclaims that not all nice cars driven by black men were stolen. However, J had in fact stolen the car to track down Boris.

Another comical aspect of the movie was Boris, played by Jemaine Clement of “Flight of the Conchords." A villain with a New Zealand accent is unfortunately rare, and Clement is known more as a comedian than a serious actor. He was entertaining to watch and did a great job.

However, the movie did have one flaw. Some scenes were clearly geared toward the 3D adaption, which made the two-dimensional version gimmicky and awkward.

Two-dimensional movie fans should hope this won’t become a trend in the movie industry, because it left audience members feeling like they were missing something.

This should not take away from the overall experience, though, because the humor, acting and sentimental moments of MIB3 clearly made up for the failure that was “Men in Black 2.”