New retail stores bring interest and economic growth to Mount Pleasant

newretailbusiness

New retail stores are making their way to Mount Pleasant in numbers this year.

Recently Dick's Sporting Goods, PetSmart, and Belle Tire have are in the process of creating new stores in the Mount Pleasant area. With a Panera Bread and an O’Reilly Automotive moving in as well, a rise of upcoming developments has begun.

It is not uncommon for a number of retailers to move into a location during the same time, said William Mrdeza, community services and economic development director for the city of Mount Pleasant.

“Activity begets additional activity,” Mrdeza said.

New development generates excitement, leading others to take interest, he said. Development from one retailer attracts the attention of others.

“Stores like this usually have a corporate office somewhere else and usually don’t contact the chamber, so it’s a surprise to us too,” said Lisa Hadden, president and CEO of the Mount Pleasant Area Chamber of Commerce. “They do market analysis for potential locations.”

Hadden said retail companies may be interested in Mount Pleasant for a number of reasons, including the low unemployment rate in the area, the large gaming operation at Soaring Eagle Casino & Resort, and CMU, more specifically, the new medical college.

The new medical school is expected to bring 60 to 80 new families to the area, Hadden said. Medicine is often a second career path and attracts families, not just students.

She said new retail stores and developments should stimulate the economy of the Mount Pleasant area.

“I think it should help the economy in general,” Hadden said. “If they’re providing jobs, that will be a big help to the current economy.”

The addition of new retail stores will grow the tax base, Mrdeza said, meaning the city can afford to do more projects and stimulate further economic growth through development.

“Our city manager has gone on record in supporting developing our way out of slump, not cutting it,” Mrdeza said.

Toni Faulman, store manager for Soldan’s Feeds and Pet Supplies, said she is not concerned about the new retail stores affecting her business.

“I think in the beginning it will affect us, but in the long run it will be fine,” she said.

Soldan’s is family orientated, offers competitive prices, and has a strong and loyal customer base, Faulman said. She worked at Soldan’s Midland location when a Petco and Pet Smart moved into town.

Soldan’s remained open, she said, while Petco ended up closing.