Movies by Moonlight a free and fun event for local residents

Couples, families, teens and children gathered on the lawn next to Mount Pleasant City Hall with snacks, drinks and blankets Saturday night to watch a boy ride his bicycle across the moon.

Steven Spielberg’s 1982 film “E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial” was the first film shown at Movies by Moonlight, kicking off Mount Pleasant’s outdoor summer film series. The film was projected onto an inflatable screen secured with ropes to stakes in the ground on the side of the hall building at 320 W. Broadway St.

The movie began at 9 p.m. and ended with a round of applause at 11 p.m.

“We love E.T.!” said Mount Pleasant resident Denise Martinez.

Downtown Development Director Michelle Sponseller said the city is planning for Movies by Moonlight to be an annual event, with screenings four times per summer.

“It gives an additional option for families looking for low-cost activities over the summer and adds to the sense of place we’re creating downtown,” she said.

The next Movies by Moonlight screening will be held Saturday, Aug. 4, and will feature James Frawley’s 1979 film “The Muppet Movie.” John Lasseter’s 1995 film “Toy Story” will be shown Aug. 11, and Michael Curtiz’s 1942 film “Casablanca” will be shown Aug. 18.

The event committee reviewed film options that would appeal to families and chose films that kids of different ages would enjoy, Sponseller said.

“Additionally, we wanted one movie that was a ‘classic,’ so "Casablanca" was chosen,” she said.

Mount Pleasant resident Donna Blem said they love all of the city’s downtown events.

“We’re supporting our town,” Blem said. “There’s something for everyone.”

This free film screening was sponsored by Central Michigan University’s College of Communication and Fine Arts, Isabella Bank, Max and Emily’s Eatery and the city of Mount Pleasant. CMU’s University Events provided the technical support for the event.

In case of rain, the films will be shown in the Broadway Theatre, 216 E. Broadway St.