Former CMU basketball player Dan Roundfield found dead in Aruba

Former Central Michigan basketball player Dan Roundfield drowned Monday off the coast of Aruba at the age of 59, according to multiple reports.

The Aruba Herald reported Roundfield’s body was found under rocks after he tried to assist his wife, who was distressed while swimming in Baby Beach.

His wife returned to shore, but Roundfield was underwater.

Roundfield, who attended CMU from 1972-75, was a two-time All-Mid-American Conference team member and named the Chippewas first-ever MAC Player of the Year in 1975, guiding them to a 22-6 record and a MAC Championship.

The 6-foot-8 forward holds the all-time rebound record with 1,031 and is the only player with more than 1,000 rebounds at CMU. He is third in total blocks with 175.

Roundfield, who was inducted into the Marcy Weston Athletics Hall of Fame in 1985, was scheduled to be inducted into the Michigan Sports Hall of Fame on Aug. 16. His No. 32 is retired at CMU.

“This is a tragic loss for the Central Michigan family,” Central Michigan Director of Athletics Dave Heeke said in a press release on CMUChippewas.com. “Dan was not only one of our all-time great basketball players, but one of our all-time greatest athletes. Our sympathies go out to Dan's family, all his close friends and those that grew to love him throughout our basketball program.”

Roundfield was drafted with the 28th overall pick in the 1975 NBA Draft by the Cleveland Cavaliers. He played for four NBA teams in 12 years: Indiana Pacers, ABA/NBA (1976-78), Atlanta Hawks (1978-84), Detroit Pistons (1984-85) and the Washington Bullets (1985-87).

ESPN analyst and former Duke basketball player Jay Bilas (@JayBilas) tweeted about the former CMU great:"RIP Dan Roundfield: I played against Roundfield in Italy. He was a good man. A sad day"