Rep. Kevin Cotter tells College Republicans Obama has not addressed 'escalating' debt

More than 40 students gathered in Anspach 169 to hear state Rep. Kevin Cotter speak on Wednesday night at the first College Republicans meeting of the year.

Cotter, R-Mount Pleasant, spoke of the election and his concerns as a Republican about losing control of the House.

“If we lose that, it could mean undoing all the progress made in the last 19 months,” Cotter said.

One of the largest problems that Cotter said has not been addressed during President Barack Obama's first term is that the national debt “has continued to escalate."  Currently, the national debt is approaching $16 trillion, which is nearly $51,000 for each U.S. citizen.  Elected in Nov. 2010, Cotter claims to have had to make some unfavorable decisions, many concerning the deficit and budget in Michigan.

“I knew I had to make bold decisions about the deficit," Cotter said.

During the question and answer session following his speech, a student asked how the disarray of the local government’s financial problems are being handled on a state level.

“There was a reduction in revenue sharing with local governments.” Cotter said. “It’s a difficult process to get through without having to bankrupt school districts.”

Ben Greene, vice chairman of the College Republicans, said he was excited about what his group has planned for the year leading up to the November elections.

“The stakes are high,” said Greene.  “We’ve got a great turnout tonight.”

Other members, new and returning, also felt this was going to be a productive semester for the College Republicans.  Senior Paul Sullivan says he saw a difference between the meetings from last year and this year.

“I like it a lot better now,” Sullivan said.  “It used to be more classroomy and I didn’t have much to connect to.”

Sophomores Alyssa Rozycki and Paige Wittler, both returning members, commented on how the group had grown. Wittler said everyone looked “happy to be here."

Greene said he's extremely excited this year and that he is ready to "pump up the energy" for the group in time for the elections.