CMU 4, Dayton 2: Soccer team scores three late in comeback

Falling behind 2-1 in the 65th minute sparked an offensive outpour from the Central Michigan women's soccer team Friday against Dayton.

It took CMU four minutes to square the score when junior Tory Kinniard passed the ball to senior Samantha Brenz, who set up junior Nicole Samuel's header.

The Chippewas broke the tie in the 81st minute and added another in the 85th minute, beating the Flyers 4-2.

Senior forward Laura Twidle scored the winning goal off a shot that was deflected by the goalkeeper.

It was a more aggressive offense that pushed CMU past Dayton late. The Chippewas had seven more shots in the second half (five in the first) and eventually those shots went past the goalkeeper.

An icing on the cake moment came on the final goal when freshman Danielle Rotheram scored her first career goal from 15 yards out, putting the ball high into the far post and more importantly, giving CMU a two-goal cushion.

Junior Kaely Schlosser continued her hot start with her second goal of the season in the second minute when she shot the ball from 25 yards out, putting in the far, upper post.

Sophomore Grace Labrecque made her first start this season, allowing two goals and making six saves.

Dayton's Ashley Campbell (fourth) and Colleen Williams (third) scored, but the defense couldn't hold the lead that they built.

The Chippewas get their second top-25 test, facing No. 12 Marquette at 2 p.m. Monday in Milwaukee, Wis.

CMU faced Marquette, who was ranked No. 12, in 2010 during the NCAA tournament and lost 1-0.

Also, the first top-25 team the Chippewas faced this season, Penn State, beat them 5-0.