Speak Up, Speak Out forum to focus on political messages, finances

The first forum of this fall’s Speak Up, Speak Out: The Current Events Series is 7 to 9 p.m. on Wednesday in the Bovee University Center Auditorium.

The title of the forum is “Campaign Me$$ages: Who’s Paying, Who’s Talking and What Are They Saying?” The forum will discuss topics such as the messages politicians communicate to the public, who finances political advertising and whether the facts politicians give the public are truthful or distorted.

Andrew Blom, an assistant professor in the philosophy and religion department, will be the facilitator.

Blom said the forum will help members of the audience to sort through political issues and help them develop skills they need as citizens.

“We anticipate these forums to be well attended because of the elections,” he said. “It would be great if we could get upwards of 200 people.”

The panelists will be Traverse City senior Megan Gill, chairwoman of the College Republicans; Otisville junior Alexandra Middlewood, president of the College Democrats; Melinda Kreth, an associate professor in the English department; Christopher Owens, an assistant professor in the political science department; and William Spruiell, an associate professor in the English department.

Merlyn Mowrey, one of the organizers of the Current Events Series and an associate professor in the philosophy and religion department, said during presidential campaign years, the forums are designed to inform people about candidates, policies and party platforms and to help them develop critical thinking skills.

“We’re trying to get students to get to the real substance of what’s going on to be informed enough to vote,” she said.

Wednesday’s forum is free and open to the public. The next forum in the series will be held  on Wednesday, Oct. 3.