Softball travels to Traverse City this weekend for annual tournament

The softball team will continue their fall schedule this weekend in Traverse City while competing in the 18th annual Collegiate Softball Tournament at Traverse City West Softball Complex.

CMU will play three games on Saturday, each five innings, beginning with Ferris State at 10:30 a.m., followed by Western Michigan at noon and Michigan at 2 p.m.

Games on Sunday will begin at 10:30 a.m., with seeding based on best record, lowest runs scored against, highest total of runs scored, head-to-head competition and the flip of a coin. Each game on Sunday will be seven innings.

Head coach Margo Jonker said she is looking forward to this weekend's tournament and views it as an opportunity to improve and motivate her players.

“It has increased motivation in practice and is a good opportunity to play in a competitive setting, while giving us a chance to see others in competition,” Jonker said.

Coming off a weekend where CMU won two games, outscoring Grand Valley and Northwood 22-9, Jonker still sees room for improvement, as well as some things she really likes about the team.

“I liked the passion and the energy we played with last weekend … we have a lot of team speed and gap power,” Jonker said. “I think we can still improve on every aspect of the game … this will help us play at our max level day in and day out,” Jonker added.

Senior pitcher Kara Dombos is excited for this weekend's tournament, and sees it as an opportunity for the team to progress as the season inches closer.

“This tournament will help us get prepared and gives us a chance to get to know each other,” Dombos said.

Fall softball is a good chance to work on some things before the season begins and to improve performance.

“We have to stay aggressive at the plate, and give it our all every inning this weekend … there is always room for improvement,” Dombos said. “I see a lot of heart and passion in this team, and hopefully it carries into the spring. We love playing softball."

Playing in Traverse City gives the team a chance to play in a less competitive environment, while getting to know each other before the season begins.

“It’s a great location and gives the team a chance to play in a relaxed setting,” Jonker said.

Holding each other accountable and getting each other to perform at their best will be vital to the team’s success this weekend, according to Jonker.

All tournament games will be played at the JV and varsity fields. No tickets are being sold for the tournament, although donations will be accepted at the gate. All proceeds will benefit the Traverse City West Softball program.