CMU raises 68 percent of United Way fundraising goal

The United Way Fund Drive has surpassed Isabella County's goal of $100,000 just 29 days after its launch.

As of Friday, 382 members of the Isabella County community have donated a total of $106,228. Donations made by Central Michigan University's faculty account for over half of that total.

The United Way Fund Drive is a fundraising event that raises money that is distributed to charitable programs all over Isabella County. Fundraising began well before the official start date of Aug. 31.  By the end of the first day, 20 percent of the fundraising goal was met.

Donations have declined in recent years due to the economy and a lack of understanding of the event and its purpose. Committee members of the fund drive were questioning if the message of need was getting across or if the decline of donations and pledges was just because of a weak economy.

"Our real struggle is (figuring out how) we educate the CMU community that there is a real need in Isabella County for assistance," said Mary Lou Morey, CMU employee pledge drive coordinator.

Morey is also head of the distribution committee that decides how much each agency in the county receives from the funds.

"As the largest contributor in Isabella County, CMU employees have a great impact," Morey said. "And when donations are down, the whole community feels the loss."

With just a few weeks left, CMU has raised $55,000 of its $80,000 goal.

The overall goal for Isabella County is $410,000, and the United Way committee is optimistic about reaching it by the Dec. 31 deadline.

Fundraising efforts at CMU will be put on hold for half of October and all of November so as to not clash with the other groups and business that are just beginning to contribute to the drive.

Dance United, a student organized event specifically meant to aid in the fund drive will be held in November, and all money raised during it will count toward CMU's overall total contribution to the county.