Murder mystery entertains 250 at Soaring Eagle

A man dropped dead amid a 250-seat dinner Friday to neither surprise nor angst.

All 250 people paid for it to happen.

As the scene unfolded, people worked to solve the murder during the first murder mystery dinner in the ballroom at Soaring Eagle Casino and Resort, 6800 E. Broadway Road.

If they watched the 1951 movie “Strangers On A Train,” they had an advantage. The script, acted out by the Grand Rapids-based Murder Mystery Company, is based on the Alfred Hitchcock classic film.

“We have about five or six shows that we switch out and the company is also writing more as we speak,” said Tiffanie Miller, actress with Murder Mystery Company. “I thought it went great, there was a lot of interaction from the crowd.”

C.C. Griffus, advertising and public relations manager for Soaring Eagle, said the event was pitched two-to-three months ago as an effort to provide customers a different experience. Tickets were sold at $50 per seat.

“It’s a unique date night,” Griffus said. “The price for a ticket is very reasonable compared to murder mystery dinners in Detroit or Lansing that are more expensive.”

As television shows intrigue audiences that love to deduce the perpetrator of mysterious crimes, the dinner provided an opportunity for them to solve a mystery while eating a five-course meal with family and friends. Jami Selden solved the mystery with her friends who went as a bachelorette party.

“It was awesome,” Selden said. “It wasn’t what I expected it to be at all. There was so much interaction that you couldn’t keep up with everything.”

Griffus said two more murder mystery dinners are already planned before the end of the year. A 1980s-themed mystery will take place in November along with a Christmas-themed mystery in December. Griffus said the November dinner is sold-out and the December dinner is already close to being sold-out.

Selden said she is attending the 80s-themed dinner.

“We have to have an excuse to wear that 80s hair again,” Selden said.

Griffus said the success of the murder mystery series could determine the longevity of them at the resort.

“Depending on the success, I’d like to do more mystery dinners with different themes,” Griffus said.