Rising Christian band Gungor performs in front of 500 at Mount Pleasant Community Church

A crowd of more than 500 gathered to watch Gungor perform Friday at the Mount Pleasant Community Church, 1400 W. Broomfield Road.

Directory of College Ministry Mitch Sheahan said he wanted to snag the up-and-coming group before it was too late.

“We do a big show once or twice a year, and I wanted to get them before they get big and probably won’t come to a place like Mount Pleasant,” Sheahan said.

He said Gungor reinvents a new genre, with a combination of folk, rock, gospel and jazz roots.

“It’s pretty stellar for a Christian group,” he said. “They are crazy unique.”

He said the group uses visual stimulation to tell a story about creation of the world and the redemption of mankind through music.

“There are so many more elements than traditional music collective,” he said. “Their music has a very intentional progression that tells a story.”

The group played songs from their latest album, "A Creation Liturgy," and ended the night with their biggest hit, “Beautiful Things.”

Michael Gungor is the songwriter, producer and lead-vocalist of the collective. His fame started when he recorded an album for his church and was picked up by Integrity music in 2002. His first album, “Bigger than My Imagination,” was released in 2003. The band grew from “The Michael Gungor Band” to “Gungor” in 2010. He is accompanied by his wife, Lisa.

“This is our little playground, and we’re having fun,” Michael said to the crowd.

The Denver-based group has been up for multiple Grammy nominations, magazine covers and “Album of the Year” for the 2010 hit song “Beautiful Things.”

The albums utilize musical imaging to explain creation, existence and the gift of life. The liturgical post rock musical collective doesn’t like to put a genre to their music because of its uniqueness, according to the group’s website.

Molly Grabill came from Hope College in Holland to see the group perform.

“They are so talented and I was just blown away,” she said.

She said the combination of the banjo, base, cello and other instruments made the sound come to life.

“There were times when I felt God’s presence,” she said. “It was very spirit-led.”

Bay City senior Nate Caister said the group’s passion was contagious and he lifted up his hands in praise.

“I heard about them coming, and although I don’t listen to them a whole lot, I don’t regret going,” he said

Clawson senior Taylor Rushing worked the event and spent the day with the group.

“They are one of the most down-to-earth bands I’ve ever met,” she said. “They are so humble.”

Waiting on the tour bus, Rushing said, was Michael and his wife Lisa’s baby.

“They are just a big family,” she said. “They said they enjoy playing at churches because we take care of them.”