CMU wrestling to open season Tuesday at home against U-M

The CMU wrestling team has a winning record all-time against every Division I team in the state of Michigan but one.

The one team is No. 13 Michigan, and it will wrestle No. 17 Central Michigan at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday at McGuirk Arena.

“We want to try to be the best team in the state, year in and year out,” head coach Tom Borrelli said in September. “And, usually, Michigan is battling us for that.”

CMU is 5-20 against the Wolverines all-time, losing its last two duals against them.

U-M will bring four wrestlers ranked by InterMat’s weight class rankings to Mount Pleasant. The Chippewas have five ranked wrestlers who will visit the mat.

But the 125-pound division is only one that will match two top-20 wrestlers. No. 10 ranked Joe Roth, a junior, will square off against junior No. 15 Sean Boyle.

Roth did well in his first year as a full-time starter last season, only losing two matches in 20 dual meets after going 0-2 in dual meets his freshman season.

“Joe Roth made huge strides last year," Borrelli told CMU Wrestling Insider. “We’re looking for that to continue.”

Boyle also improved from his freshman to sophomore season, winning eight more matches than his freshman season overall, to tally a 28-15 record. But he did redshirt last season, though.

Seniors Scotti Sentes and Jarod Trice return to the lineup after redshirting last season.

Sentes, a 133-pounder, did not compete because of an undisclosed injury. Sophomore Zach Horan, filling in for him, was one win away from being an All-American and will likely redshirt this year.

Trice, a heavyweight, took a year off of school to pursue the Olympics.

“I got great experience from all parts of the world,” Trice told CMU Wrestling Insider. “It helped me reach that next level of wrestling I was looking for.”

Peter Sturgeon, who has graduated, filled in for Trice by making it to the NCAA Championships.

Sentes, Trice and senior Ben Bennett are all in the top of their divisions nationally, entering the game at No. 2, No. 4 and No. 5 respectively.

“All three bring tremendous scoring potential, which creates excitement with the fans,” Borrelli said.

Borrelli said Sentes uses his long physical frame to score points from many positions.  He called Bennett “the workhorse of our program,” while Trice brings passion and charisma.