With national flu epidemic CMU says its given out 800 shots

More than 800 students have gotten flu shots through Central Michigan University Health Services in response to early outbreaks this winter.

According to an article in the Detroit Free Press, some officials believe this is the earliest the flu outbreak has begun in recent years.

"We had some early (outbreak) years in 2003 and 2007, but this is the earliest I can remember," Bob Swanson, director of the division of immunization at the Michigan Department of Community Health, told the Free Press.

Lora Zenz, RN and coordinator of Nursing Services, said CMU has experienced a busy flu season so far this year.

"We continue to see an increase in the number of students utilizing our health services here on campus," Zenz said. "The winter months are always our busy time of year, but with flu symptoms arriving early, we have seen an increase number in patients during the fall semester."

Additionally, the opening of a new health clinic located within the Towers residence halls is helping tackle the influx of students with flu-like symptoms.

"We have also opened a new health clinic in the Towers that has two exam rooms, which allows students additional access to our services. The Towers Health Clinic in Troutman Hall has been very well-received by students since opening at the start of the fall semester," Zenz said.

Although the flu seems to be spreading rapidly, Zenz said the illnesses and symptoms she has seen this year compare to previous years.

"We have not recognized any specific trends so far this year," she said. "We typically treat numerous cases of allergic rhinitis, pharyngitis, strep, cough, skin problems, mono, nausea and vomiting."

Zenz said the best defense against the flu is to get a flu shot every year in the fall, to wash hands frequently, to get plenty of rest and to practice good nutrition. However, if students do catch the flu, the best thing to do is obtain over-the-counter medications and be careful not to spread the illness, since it is so contagious.

"If you suspect you might have the flu or are experiencing flu-like symptoms, we suggest treating the symptoms with over-the-counter medications such as Tylenol for headache and fever; and cough medicine for cough," Zenz said. "Stay at home so you don't spread it to others, wash hands frequently and cover your cough. If you should start having shortness of breath, fever or a cough not being helped by over-the-counter medications or other life-threatening symptoms, you should seek medical attention"