MOVIE REVIEW: ‘Django Unchained’ a humorous film filled with gore, controversy

django_moviereview

"Django Unchained," one of the most talked about and controversial movies of the past few years, lives up to the hype.

"Django Unchained" takes place in 1858, just before the Civil War broke out. The film follows a slave named Django who pairs up with a retired dentist, Dr. King Schultz, to kill white men and collect the bounty for their bodies before rescuing Django’s wife from a plantation owner.

The film came in making more than $30 million opening weekend and has made more than $125 million in the three weeks it has been in theaters. The high revenue is no surprise considering the star cast with actors such as Leonardo DiCaprio, Jamie Foxx and Samuel L. Jackson.

Written and directed by Quentin Tarantino, the film is filled with violence and gore, as one might expect. When a character was shot, they did not just bleed, they exploded. Blood filled the screen, accompanied by the graphic sounds of blood sloshing everywhere. This film was not made with squeamish people in mind and, at times, can become too much for some in the audience.

However, the film was humorous in parts, often lightening the mood before a huge fight or before someone was gunned down. Moments such as when Django picks out his own clothes and when an army fights over wearing masks makes audiences laugh during scenes that should not be funny in classic Tarantino fashion.

Controversy was raised over the film as action figure dolls based on the films characters hit stores. Some say the action figure toys are turning slavery into something to play with and it is an insensitive way to make a profit.

Filmmaker Spike Lee and talk show host Tavis Smiley have both slammed the movie as insensitive. Smiley told The Daily Beast that the movie is far too light-hearted for a film about slavery.

“I refuse to see it. I’m not going to pay to see it," Smiley said. "But I’ve read the screenplay, and I have 25 family members and friends who have seen it and have had thousands of conversations about this movie, so I can tell you frame by frame what happens."

The film, however, if viewed from a strictly entertainment point-of-view, is highly addictive and is recommended.

Rating: 4 out of 5 stars