Search for associate vice president of institutional diversity back on

Editor's note: This story has been updated to reflect the correct title of the job.

Two finalists have been selected for the associate vice president of institutional diversity position after none of the previously selected candidates were offered the job.

Traci Guinn, interim associate vice president for institutional diversity at Central Michigan University, and Lawrence Burnley, assistant vice president for diversity and intercultural relations and assistant professor of history at Whitworth University in Spokane, Wash. have been named the two recent finalists for the position.

Following university protocol and procedures, Pam Gates, dean of the College of Humanities and Social and Behavioral Sciences, said the two candidates will undergo a series of interviews and hold public forums for the position.

Both finalists have been invited to campus to host open forums to discuss their qualifications and vision for the job.

Forums for Guinn and Burnley will take place Jan. 15 and 16, respectively. Both forums will be held from 2 until 2:50 p.m. in the Lake Superior Room of the Bovee University Center.

According to the job description, the director of diversity education “will help create an accepting atmosphere for diversity at the university by educating faculty and students and assist in fulfilling the diversity goals of CMU.”

The Office of Institutional Diversity was left without a director after the previous associate vice president, Denise Green, announced her resignation from the position in June 2012.

As previously reported by Central Michigan Life, Green’s planned resignation was a precursor to her accepting a similar position at Ryerson University in Toronto.

Shortly after the announcement of Green’s resignation, Central Michigan University named Traci Guinn the interim associate director of institutional diversity, taking over the responsibilities previously held by Green.

In early October, three original finalists were named and invited to campus for interviews and open forums.

Guinn previously told CM Life in an email that the search for a new associate director of institutional diversity had been postponed until May 2013.

Questions regarding the status and eligibility of the orginal finalists are still unclear.

Phone calls made to Gates went unreturned as of press time.