Women's track gears up for GVSU Quad

Women’s track and field will look to bounce back and gain momentum as it heads to Allendale, Mich. for the GVSU Quad meet this weekend.

Last week at the Harvey-Simmons Invitational in Ann Arbor, the women’s team came up short of finishing in the top spot for every event, but this did not keep them down.

For its meet on Saturday the team will be at full strength once again.

“This is where we’re going to have the entire team," he said. "It’s going to be a small preview of how we’re going to take the conference meet."

The date of Jan. 26, Saturday, is also going to be an important one for Randolph and his team. He has emphasized this date as being a pivotal turning point in the young season for the Chippewas and they plan on changing their approach to their weekly practices.

“The mentalities have been the biggest thing that we’ve been focusing on as a coaching staff,” Randolph said. “They’re understanding their goals and their team plan.”

With a newfound motivation and the will to succeed in the upcoming conference season high on the team’s goals, it can bring about certain stresses as well.  Working on a tight and strict schedule can cause both coaches and players to become somewhat overwhelmed by what is in store for them.

“It becomes more stressful because you’re running out of time to get the physical things done as you get closer to February," Randolph said. "It’s a progression to get ourselves ready to go, and now it’s time to see what our season is starting to look like.”

Even with added stress as the season progresses, the team is sure to see more top competition as it did at the University of Michigan last weekend.  This, however, will not stop the Chippewas from giving it their all.

“It should be more competitive,” Randolph said.  “Every team is allowed for their top two people to score and Grand Valley is one of the best Division two programs in the country.”

Also attending this meet will be Mid-American Conference rival Eastern Michigan, so there will no love lost between the two schools as they look to come out on top on Saturday.

“There will Central Michigan-Eastern Michigan blood there," Randolph said "And we want to make sure we have the first cut.”