What's going on over break: Baseball

The Central Michigan baseball team will be heading for Florida for spring break.

With eight games taking place beginning on Friday and going until March 10, it doesn’t seem the Chippewas will have much time to be lying on the beach.

This weekend the team will participate in the Bright House Tournament in DeLand, Fla., starting on Friday when they face Stetson at 7 p.m.

Next, it will play UConn on Saturday in an afternoon game starting at 1 p.m and an 11 a.m. game on Sunday with Ohio State will wrap up the tournament.

They will head to Daytona, Fla., for a two-game series against Bethune-Cookman.

The first game will be Tuesday, March 6 and the second game will be Wednesday, March 7. Both games will take place at 6 p.m.

Port Charlotte, Fla., is the next stop for the team when it will head further south to play in the Snowbird Baseball Classic.

The first game is at 3 p.m. on Friday, March 8 against West Virginia.

On Saturday, March 9 they'll play Chicago State at 1 p.m. and end the tournament with an 10:30 a.m. game on Sunday, March 10 against Georgetown.

With a 2-5 record going into the stretch of games over spring break, CMU is looking to turn it around and start a winning streak.

So far, it has won just one game of each series it’s played this season, taking the last game in a four-game series against Lousiana-Lafayette in the opening weekend.

Last weekend they were only able to claim a victory in the first game of a three-game series against Western Kentucky.

Sophomore Jordan Foley’s work in the 4-2 win against Western Kentucky was recognized on Tuesday when he was named the Mid-American Conference West Pitcher of the Week for the first time in his career.

After returning from Florida, the Chippewas will host Madonna in CMU’s first home game of the season at 3:05 p.m. on Tuesday, March 12 at Theunissen Stadium.