Women's track and field look to bounce back at home

Women's track and field is looking for positives at Friday's Jack Skoog Meet after a disappointing trip to Allendale last week.

Last Friday and Saturday at the GVSU Big Meet, the Chippewas failed to place in any major events, along with having to rest some key athletes in preparation for Mid-American Conference Championships.

“We know what we have and we know where we’re going,” said track and field director Willie Randolph.  “It’s our job to let our kids know it’s going to be okay; we trust that we’re going in the right direction.”

This Friday, however, CMU will not have to worry about traveling.  This marks the second time this season the Chippewas have hosted a meet, with the first being the CMU Open back in January.

“We feed off of all of the fans coming to the indoor meet, because we know that they’re here to see us,” Randolph said.  “It definitely helps us.”

With this meet being at home, CMU will hope to gain some momentum and some positive fan support from a loyal and optimistic Mt. Pleasant crowd.  This, according to Randolph, can be an important mental aspect for his athletes as they prepare for competition.

Randolph sees Friday’s meet as a good way for those competing to better their qualifying times in hopes to compete at Eastern Michigan University for the MAC Championships.  Although it's an important time of the season, Randolph recognizes the stresses and obstacles the team and coaching staff have to endure within the championship approaches.

“I’m confident in our plan and I’m ready to go,” Randolph said.  “We’re helpless to a degree-we have to put our trust in our players and we’re the biggest cheerleaders you will ever see.”

Randolph is not shy when describing the atmosphere he is going to be in, when it is finally time for the conference championship to commence.

“I’m going to be the loudest voice out there,” he said.  “I’m going to leave there with nothing left in me because that’s what I’m asking my athletes to do; that’s my passion.”

The Chippewas will be sending 18 competitors to compete against Alma, Northwood, and Saginaw Valley State, as well as other unattached athletes.  The Jack Skoog Meet is scheduled for a 4 p.m. start time.