Baseball sweeps Marshall in double-header Friday 7-3 and 9-7

Baseball won both games in a double-header against Marshall on Friday 7-3 and 9-7.

In the first game the Chippewas got another solid performance from sophomore starter Jordan Foley.

Foley pitched six innings, only giving up four hits and one earned run before being relieved by freshman Jimmy McNamara.

Freshman Neal Jacobs had a standout game, producing more than half of the team’s runs with four RBI.

In the fifth, Jacobs homered to center field, earning two of his RBI for the game.

Sophomore Alec Ornelas also had a home run in the game, hitting his in the third and putting the Chippewas on the board for the first time.

Marshall responded with two runs, but couldn’t get another until the eighth.

CMU, however, didn’t have any trouble scoring.

Freshman Zack Fields had two RBI in the sixth from a double and sophomore Cody Leichman had a RBI single to right field.

CMU tacked on the final two runs when Jacobs singled up the middle to bring in Leichman and sophomore Nick Regnier.

Marshall made the second game closer, but still were defeated 9-7.

Dylan Rheault had the start for CMU, pitching six innings and allowing six hits, four runs and getting three strikeouts.

Marshall held the lead in the first two innings before Fields doubled to score two in the third.

But the Thundering Herd put up a fight, scoring three to answer.

The fifth was when the Chippewas came alive scoring five runs.

Jacobs had his second home run of the day, bringing in three runs, making the score 7-4.

Fields also added on to his contributions, hitting a single up the left side to drive in two runs.

The Chippewas continue the series against Marshall on Saturday. The time has not been announced yet.

The Sunday game to end the series will begin at noon.