Baseball team loses to Connecticut at Bright House Invitational

Senior right-handed pitcher Pat Kaminska struggled with his control in the baseball team’s 6-2 loss to Connecticut Saturday afternoon.

The 6-foot-3 native of Phoenix, Az. walked five batters, gave up six hits and allowed four earned runs in three and two-thirds innings. Three of Kaminska’s walks came around to score.

Kaminska entered the 2013 baseball season with high expectations, but so far he has struggled. In three starts, he is 0-3 with a 9.64 ERA.

The Huskies manufactured a run in the first inning when lead-off man Billy Ferriter walked, stole second and later scored on a sacrifice fly to make it 1-0.

Walks led to more UConn runs in the third inning. Vinny Siena led off the inning with walk, after a single by LJ Mazzilli, Kaminska walked a second batter in the inning to load the bases. One batter latter, Eric Yavarone singled past a diving Noel Santos to drive in two and make the score 3-0.

Another walked batter led off the fourth inning and later scored on a single by Siena to make it 4-0 and chase Kaminska from the game.

CMU  put two men on in the fifth, sixth and seventh innings, but couldn’t come up with hit. The team finished with six hits compared to 10 for UConn.

The Huskies extended their lead in the eighth inning when Jon Testani hit a two-run home run off of freshman reliever Jimmy McNamara to make it 6-0.

CMU scored two runs in the ninth. Sophomore Pat Mackenzie drove in a run on a triple to right-center field scoring the first run and later scored on an error for the second.

Freshman Logan Regnier went two-for-four with a triple while MacKenzie was 2-for-4 with an RBI.

The Chippewas play the final game of the Bright House Invitational Sunday against Ohio State. First pitch is scheduled for 11 a.m as senior Rick Dodridge (1-1, 1.46 ERA) takes the mound.