COLUMN: There still is time

Time is winding down as the semester is coming closer to an end.

Some students are jumping for joy and counting down the number of weeks left until finals so they can race home and start their summer; however, others might be savoring these last few weeks because it might be their last year of college and the beginning of a new chapter in their life.

Whether you’re seeing the end of the semester from one of these perspectives or another one, I think it’s important to remember to make the rest of the year count.

Some people start off the school year with a list of goals from "I’m going to pass all of my classes and get a good GPA" to “I’m going to try something new.” If they don’t reach those goals, it’s because students either give up, lose motivation or forget about them, just like New Year’s resolutions.

Since the semester doesn’t end until May 3, use this column as a reminder that you still have time to go out with a bang.

If you’re struggling in a class you’re not passing, don’t feel discouraged. Keep your head held high, and instead of getting stressed out and giving yourself a headache, seek help. Go to your professors' office hours. Find a classmate you can study with, or simply switch up your studying routine. If you give up now, then you might miss out on the shot to get the extra points you need to pass the class.

If you want to try something new, the only person and thing that can stop you is yourself. It’s easy to get discouraged by others when they say “Why would you want to try that?” or “I don’t think that’s such a good idea;” however, they’re not walking in your shoes, so why let them decide your every move?

Also, if friends or roommates are convincing you to try something new, why not give it a try? Sometimes the only way to learn more about yourself and to grow is to try new things.

Since beginning college, I’ve learned so many things. One of the biggest things I’ve learned is that you have to take advantage of the time you have. It is true that "time waits for no one," so you can’t always wait for opportunities to come to you. Instead, you have to step outside your box and create them.

And, if you make mistakes, so be it. Theodore Roosevelt once said, “The only man who never makes mistakes is the man who never does anything.” Life is a mystery, and you can’t predict what’s going to happen next; however, with the time given, you can make it count and see where it adds up.

This week, I think you should revisit your goal list. Check off what you’ve accomplished and give yourself a pat on the back. Tell yourself there is still time – time to improve, make a change and give it another a try.