Halle Moraw 'floors' judges, wins title at gymnastics MAC championships

bam-macgymnastics-49

KALAMAZOO — A promise repeated for months from a coach to his athlete was fulfilled at Saturday’s Mid-American Conference gymnastics championships.

When sophomore Halle Moraw left Western Michigan University, not only was she part of the four-consecutive MAC gymnastics championship team, she took home a trophy of her own.

With a dazzling 9.950 scoring performance, Moraw claimed the MAC championships floor title.

“I can’t believe I’m floor champ,” Moraw said. “Jerry (Reighard) told me he would make me floor champion and he did, and I’m so thankful for that.”

With the Central Michigan gymnastics team off to a shaky start in the competition, sophomore Moraw said her mindset didn’t change when she headed to her favorite event.

Her team came alive during floor, scoring 9.8s left and right, and then it was time for Moraw to perform.

She was the anchor, hoping to give her team a final push, and she didn’t disappoint.

“I was really pumped for floor because we had such a good lineup before that,” Moraw said. “It was easy; I didn’t have to worry about anything. It was just perfect.”

Head coach Jerry Reighard said the stellar performances he witnessed from his team on the floor were a rare time where he got to sit back and simply enjoy the moments.

Reighard said he had a smile on his face for all six of his competitors.

But the biggest smile might have crept in when Reighard talked about Moraw clinching the title.

“Halle did a great job,” Reighard said. “I’ve been telling Halle since last September, ‘you’re going to be floor champion,’ and there were some days where I think we both doubted that. But to just keep pushing through, I mean, we have rearranged her routine at least four different times to get to a 9.950.”

Moraw wasn’t the only gymnast from CMU to excel at the championships.

At the end of the meet, junior Brittany Petzold was named MAC Co-Gymnast of the Year.

Petzold, the 2012 all-around title winner, just missed taking home the title for the second year, finishing .050 behind first place with a 39.200.

“I think I did really well overall,” Petzold said. “There were a few mistakes I could have done better on. Floor was definitely my best.”

Petzold came in second place overall on floor, scoring a 9.9 to tie with two other competitors.

Although she couldn’t pull off an all-around title victory two years in a row, Reighard said Petzold should be proud of all she’s accomplished.

“If people only knew what she’s gone through in the last 12 months, most athletes would not be competing, and they certainly wouldn’t be doing the all-around,” Reighard said. “My hat’s off to her. She did an incredible job.”

Other notable scores for the Chippewas include Moraw, fellow sophomore Taylor Noonan and junior Emily Heinz, all scoring 9.8s and tying for second place on beam.

Sophomore Kylie Fagan came in third overall on the uneven bars, scoring 9.825.