Softball works through long layoff

Before entering conference competition this weekend against Eastern Michigan, the softball team had two games postponed and one cancelled, causing a 13-day break.

The team split the doubleheader against the Eagles following their near two-week break from game competition.

“I didn’t want to go any longer than a week," said head coach Margo Jonker. "Not having games is certainly a detriment, but we're not the only team that had to deal with it.".

During spring break, the team hardly had a vacation, despite being in Florida. The team played 13 games in the University of South Florida Under Armour Showcase in Clearwater and Tampa Bay.

With just a short rest after a hectic spring break, the Chippewas were back at it in the Hoosier Classic where they played four games in two days with the last day of competition being cancelled due to weather.

After the Hoosier Classic ended, the team was scheduled for a break from March 18-27 when they were slotted to play IPFW in a doubleheader.

Unfortunately, due to weather, the doubleheader was postponed. This caused the team to lose two games to help prepare for conference play.

“You just have to keep on working just as hard and try to make practice as much like game speed as you can,” said sophomore short stop Carol Ann Sexauer.

With an unusually long winter, the weather conditions have made the fields too hard to play, which has caused many of the delays.

Last year’s season was just as hectic for the team during spring break, and the Hoosier classic immediately followed. However, last year, they were able to get right back to work after the Hoosier classic. There was only an eight-day lay over as opposed to this year’s 13 days.

The break has had some positive impacts though.

“During this time, we were able to get some needed rest and get healthy," Jonker said. "We were also able to work on the things we struggled with in the tournaments"