Students, area residents celebrate Native American culture with drums, dance at annual 'Pow Wow'

Charlotte Bodak/Staff Photograper Ste. Sault Marie resident Miisheen Shawanda, 14, dances during the Junior Men's Traditional dance Saturday afternoon during the CMU Powwow in McGuirk Arena.

Vibrant dance, drums and Native American pride filled the atmosphere inside McGuirk Arena this weekend at Central Michigan University's 24th annual Pow Wow.

Students, Mount Pleasant residents and attendees from all over Michigan celebrated Native American heritage at the Pow Wow. Saginaw Chippewa Indian Tribe, Central Michigan University Native American Programs and several other CMU organizations sponsored the event.

The Pow Wow continued with its reoccurring theme, ‘Celebrating Life.’

“'Celebrating Life' is celebrating life: Being active, energetic and living your life to the fullest and doing that with your family,” said Colleen Green, director of Native American Programs.

The event kicked off with a grand entry. The audience was told to stand as veterans, dancers and several others participating in the event walked in as singers and drummers filled the arena with music. The drum is said to symbolize the heartbeat of the Pow Wow.

“It is the heart of it,”Kasey McCullough, Sault St. Marie junior and member of the Hannahville Indian Community, said. “There isn’t a beat for any of the dancers to dance to if there isn’t a drum. So, it’s kind of like the life of the Pow Wow ceremony.”

During the event, several dance and drum contests took place for younger and older generations of the Native American community.

Green said the students of the Pow Wow committee and volunteers coordinated the event. Green said she acted as an adviser while the students put the event together.

“When it all comes together, it really reflects back on our CMU students,” Green said. “... Volunteers coming together, bringing a wonderful welcoming environment for our Native nations throughout the country.”

Rebecca Newland, a student intern for Native American Programs and part of the event committee, said she had never seen a Pow Wow before but said the event was a success.

“It’s a really great experience,” the Cedar Springs senior said. “I recommend it to everyone in the area, especially since we have a really prominent Native American culture in this area.”

Junior Miranda Randle said the event encouraged people to open themselves up to different cultures.

“I feel like the best way to learn about something is to experience it,” the Gladwin native said. “I feel like this is the best way, honestly, on campus, to experience another culture ... You learn so much just by absorbing it and being here."

Randle said she volunteered because her roommate is Native American and she had never been to a Pow Wow before, and she loved to see the celebration of culture.

“I wish that I had that strength of culture," Randle said. "I just think it’s so cool being on this campus and just being able to come to this spot and see so many people passionate about their culture.”