CMU signs reverse transfer agreement with Northwestern Michigan College

Central Michigan University signed its fifth reverse transfer agreement Thursday, joining in collaboration with Northwestern Michigan College.

NMC joins a list with Delta Community College, Mid Michigan Community College, Montcalm Community College and West Shore Community College as schools that have reverse transfer agreements with CMU.

“We’ve signed up with these schools, and we’ll notify students who transfer from these institutions prior to earning an associate’s degree,” Registrar Karen Hutslar said. “We recommend they send transcripts to the community college to see if they have enough credits to earn an associate’s degree.”

Students who attended NMC must have completed at least 15 credits before transferring to CMU. Those students who transferred prior to Thursday’s agreement are still eligible to receive their associate’s degree if they meet the credit requirement.

The 2012 state appropriations bill called for each university to sign a reverse transfer agreement with at least one community college, which was increased to a minimum of three schools in 2013.

“They requested schools to at least have three, but we have five, and in the future, we might have more,” Hutslar said. “Many of us were talking about this (before) the state got involved and wanted schools to sign them.”

MCC also requires a minimum of 15 credit hours, while WSCC requires 32, Delta requires 24 and MMCC requires 12.

Hustlar said CMU is waiting to see how popular the five current agreements are among students before adding any more.

Because this is the first year CMU has had reverse transfer agreements, Hutslar said the university doesn’t have any data as far as the success of the program.

“We’ve just signed the agreements, and we’re getting the reports in place,” she said. “We’ve created the website and special transcript requests for each of these schools.”

The credits taken at CMU can be counted for both the university and previously attended community college.

Special transcript request forms can be found on the CMU Registrar’s Office website.