COLUMN: Do more college stuff

A few weeks ago, I played an intramural floor hockey game at the Student Activity Center. As a diehard hockey fan who still hopes he’ll get drafted into the NHL at age 24, it was a fun experience, but the physical activity left me winded and half-dead.

Our team lost 12-0, and I couldn’t help but think I would have been a better player back before I gained the “freshman 15,” “sophomore 17,” “junior 20,” “senior 16” and “grad school who-gives-a-crap-anymore.”

All this time I’ve been at Central Michigan University, I could have taken advantage of the free exercise facilities at the SAC, and I’m sure I would have looked like Pavel Datsyuk out there on the hardwood.

Now that I’m about to graduate and head off into alumni land, I’m starting to take a mental inventory of the free stuff that I’ve taken for granted and the unique experiences that I’ve ignored while in college. For those of you who have some time left as a student, take a look at my list and make sure you don’t miss out as well.

One of my biggest regrets is not attending a football game that actually mattered. I went to a few of the games, but they were both middle-of-the-week bouts against teams like Southeastern Rhode Island State or something like that, and I left early both times. I wish I would have attended at least one game versus Western while I could still get in for free.

This wouldn’t have been a free activity, but I kind of regret not braving the Wayside at least once in my five years in Mount Pleasant. Sure, it would have been terrifying, and I would have felt like bathing in bleach afterwards, but it’s a life experience I won’t be able to replicate, unless I head into creepy old-man territory.

Getting a tad more serious, I also wish I would have done a mock interview through Career Services.  It was always something I meant to do, but I’d find dumb excuses like not having a suit or being afraid the mock interviewer would chide me for my paltry résumé. It would have been great practice for an actual interview, though, and I doubt any future employer will give me a mulligan before interviewing me “for realsies.”

Finally, I regret not taking advantage of more free events put on by the university and Program Board.  I missed seeing General Colin Powell because I was too lazy to go get the free tickets, and I also missed that Great Porn Debate featuring Nina Hartley. When will I ever be able to see a porn star debate a preacher in my future?

Don’t be like me. Take advantage of experiences unique to college while you still have the chance.