Logan Regnier, awkwardly, leads CMU baseball at the plate

web_baseballg2_10
Chuck Miller/Staff Photographer Freshman infielder Logan Regnier stands at plate with hus unusual batting stance. Regnier took a .321 average into the double header against Bowling Green.

He doesn't have the typical batting stance, his legs slightly bent, almost at a 90-degree angle, with his bat out in front of him.

This is a recent adjustment freshman outfielder Logan Regnier has made at the plate, and it seems to be paying off in big way as he leads his team with a .330 batting average.

"I don't really know where that came from," Logan said. "I just did it one day; it's what I felt the most comfortable doing. I have no idea where it came from though."

Logan discovered his new stance last summer. He went away from it in the fall and picked it back up in spring.

Logan for most of the season, has been the catalyst for his team, but, in Saturday's double-header, he switched roles with older brother Nick, a sophomore, and found himself batting third.

Head coach Steve Jaksa said Nick was more comfortable in the spot, and Logan was more than comfortable hitting in his brother, rather than it being the other way around.

"I think Nick is really accustomed to the 1-hole," Jaksa said. "Nick is more of a green-light guy on the bases, and he can bunt for a hit. I think he's developed into that, but I think Logan is learning. Overall, it put (Nick) in a position where he could be more productive, and he was really productive."

Jaksa's plan worked to perfection in the top of the first inning of the second game in Saturday's doubleheader.

After Nick lead the game with a single and junior shortstop Noel Santos bunted him over to second with sacrifice, Logan came up with single that let his speedy brother round third and come home. Freshman Zack Fields would let Logan come home as well after just barely clearing the left field wall for his second home run of the day.

"We just switched the roles," Logan said. "He had to get on today and I had to hit him in. I'm just trying to do what's asked; whatever is thrown at me, I'm just trying to adjust to that."

Despite Jaksa crediting Nick with the green-light on the bases, it's little brother Logan who leads the team in stolen bases, with 15 on the season.

"I just wait for the right time (when stealing a base)," Logan said. "It's just depending on the situation and the signs I'm given and trying to get a good read on the pitcher to get a good jump."

As a freshman, Logan is leading the team in batting average and is doing so in his own style.